Windows and Antivirus Update Policies
VSP G1000/G1500 and VSP F1500
The SVP for the VSP G1000, G1500 and F1500 storage models is integrated into the systems and is required in order for Hitachi Vantara to provide maintenance service on the systems. Windows and antivirus security updates to the SVP for these products are performed by Hitachi Vantara.
VSP G200/G400/G600/G800, VSP F400F600/F800, VSP G350/G370/G700/G900, and VSP F350/F370/F700/F900
For maintenance purposes, the SVP is no longer required by Hitachi Vantara on the VSP G200/G400/G600/G800/F400/F600/F800 and VSP G350/G370/G700/G900/F350/F370/F700/F900 model systems. The SVP is offered as an option, allowing customers to provision storage, use it to connect with other management software, or run scripts. More importantly, customers have complete control over the security of their SVP machine credentials as Hitachi Vantara no longer requires access to it. For these reasons, customers are responsible for Windows and antivirus security updates to the SVP according to their internal security policies.
Customers can apply Microsoft security patches using a Windows Server Update Services server as seen in the following figure:
Customers with storage systems in an online environment can apply Microsoft security patches using automatic (recommended) or manual Windows updates.
Customers can also apply appropriate Windows security patches by downloading stand-alone packages from a Microsoft download site.
Windows 10 Professional and Windows 10 Enterprise
Windows Server 2012
Installing antivirus software on the SVP
Contact your Hitachi Vantara representative for specific required settings for your approved antivirus product. Best practice is to use the following antivirus software applications:
- Trend Micro OfficeScan Corporate Edition 10.6 / 11.0 / 11.0 SP1 / XG
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.0.0
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8
- Sophos Endpoint Security and Control 10.3 / 10.6
Installing antivirus software might affect SVP performance. Therefore, install antivirus software according to the following procedure:
- Do not perform other maintenance operations. Doing so can delay processing or result in an error.
- Do not access the storage system or perform operations from remote sites using applications such as Hitachi Device Manager - Storage Navigator. Doing so can delay processing or result in an error.
- When the SVP restarts during installation, data and logs monitored by the service information message or sense byte (SIM/SSB) might be interrupted temporarily.
Click here to locate step-by-step antivirus installation instructions for your storage product (login to Support Connect required).
Windows upgrade path
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: If a Microsoft security update on a customer-managed SVP causes a technical issue with the associated storage device (i.e., Gx00), will Hitachi Vantara Support help to resolve it?
A: Yes, standard support is provided in that scenario.
Q: For HUS & VSP products, is it possible to upgrade the SVP from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
A: No. In this scenario, please contact your account manager.