Use the SVP to provision storage, connect with other management software, execute scripts, or for maintenance purposes. An SVP is available as an option for the VSP E990 and the VSP G/F350, G/F370, G/F700, G/F900 models. An SVP is required for the VSP G200, G400, G600, G800, VSP F400, F600, F800, and VSP N400, N600, N800 models.
More importantly, Hitachi Vantara does not require access to the SVP. Customers have full control over the security of the SVP machine credentials. Customers are responsible for applying Windows and antivirus security updates by using a Windows Server Update Services server or other acceptable methods.
Use automatic (recommended) or manual Windows updates to apply Microsoft security patches for storage systems configured for online environment.
You can apply appropriate Windows security patches by downloading stand-alone packages from the Microsoft Update Catalog.
When the catalog appears, use the Search field at the top right of the page to find security monthly rollups for Windows 7 or Windows 10, depending on the Windows operating system running on your SVP.
Contact your Hitachi Vantara representative for specific required settings for your approved antivirus product.
For best practice, use one of the following antivirus software applications:
- Trend Micro OfficeScan Corporate Edition 10.6 / 11.0 / 11.0 SP1 / XG
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8
- Sophos Endpoint Security and Control 10.3 / 10.6
For more information about support for antivirus applications, go to https://support.hitachivantara.com/en/user/tech-tips/2018april/T2018041301.html and log on to Support Connect.
- Do not perform other maintenance operations. Doing so can delay processing or result in an error.
- Do not access the storage system or perform operations from remote sites using applications such as Hitachi Storage Navigator because it can delay processing or result in an error.
- When the SVP restarts during installation, data and logs monitored by the service information message or sense byte (SIM/SSB) might be interrupted temporarily.
For information about Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade path, contact customer support.