Hitachi UCP Advisor provides detailed information about the infrastructure components and allows you to manage operations for connected devices.
UCP Advisor simplifies infrastructure operations. Seamless integration allows automated provisioning of the UCP systems - for both the converged, and hyperconverged infrastructure. It provides unified management, central oversight, and smart life-cycle management for firmware upgrades, element visibility, and troubleshooting.
Hitachi UCP Advisor provides pertinent information and allows you to manage operations for connected devices.
Major features include:
- Simplified deployments: UCP Advisor simplifies IT management and orchestration for faster and easier deployment of converged and hyperconverged systems.
- Federated system management: UCP Advisor enables simplified management of one or many Unified Compute Platform family systems, including converged and hyperconverged systems. UCP Advisor allows provisioning of compute nodes, storage, ethernet, and fibre channel from a single, unified management interface.
- Easy synchronization of VLANs with rack switches: UCP Advisor intelligently synchronizes the virtual, distributed switch trunk VLANs with the node switch interfaces on the rack switches and allows easy port-level VLAN management.
- Simple, one-click firmware upgrade: The upgrade firmware option allows you to download a firmware bundle from the Hitachi portal and upload it to UCP Advisor. Supports firmware upgrade for compute nodes and Ethernet, or Fibre Channel switches. The simple, one-click automated upgrade process upgrades the firmware by moving the compute hosts into maintenance mode, applying relevant patches, and bringing hosts back online.
- Integration with VMware applications.
- VMware vRealize Orchestrator: UCP Advisor integrates seamlessly with vRealize Orchestrator. You can initiate workflows such as managing compute nodes, performing data backup/restores, and provisioning of datastores. You can also track, manage, and complete the workflows in vRealize Orchestrator.
- VMware vRealize LogInsight: UCP Advisor tightly integrates with vRealize LogInsight to provide a single interface to monitor system-level activities and provide security audit logs for the UCP environment. This enables you to quickly identify security-level breaches and detect unauthorized access from rogue IPs.
- Intelligent automation and orchestration with Hitachi Automation Director (HAD): Integration with Hitachi Automation Director enables IT process automation and smart infrastructure provisioning capabilities. UCP Advisor leverages the smart provisioning workflows and templates available through HAD.
UCP Advisor environment
The UCP Advisor environment consists of a UCP Controller (Management Node) and the onboarded Advisor Gateways.
A typical UCP Advisor environment is shown below.
The Management Node is the server on which the UCP Advisor components, UCP Controller VM and Advisor Gateway VM are installed. The UCP Advisor software is deployed on clustered server nodes. The Management Node has redundant connections to ensure connectivity to UCP Advisor systems. For every UCP Advisor system, a single controller VM is deployed and can manage one or many UCP converged infrastructure (CI) or UCP hyperconverged (HC) systems, as long as an Advisor Gateway VM is deployed per system.
Each UCP CI system includes Ethernet and Fibre Channel switches, storage systems, servers, and compute nodes and is connected to the controller vm via individual gateway VMs in each CI, HC, and RS system.
UCP Advisor Controller and Gateway VMs
UCP Advisor is comprised of the following virtual appliances.
The following table shows the amount of resources assigned to the UCP Advisor Controller vm.
|Resources||Server and quantity (default configuration at deployment)|
|Operating System||Windows Server 2016|
|CPU||6 vCPUs (default)|
|Disk||250 GB (thin provisioned disk)|
|Network||1 vNIC (connect to Management VLAN VMXNET3)|
|Supported virtualization host||ESXi 6.5 Update-1|
The following table shows the amount of resources assigned to the UCP Advisor Gateway virtual machine.
|Operating Sytem||CentOS 7.3|
|CPU||2 vCPUs (default)|
|Disk||40 GB (thin provisioned disk)|
|Network||1 vNIC (connect to management VLAN VMXNET3)|
|Supported virtualization host||ESXi 6.5 Update-1|
Accessing UCP Advisor
You access UCP Advisor from the VMware vSphere Web Client.
Log on to the VMware vSphere Web Client using your vCenter Administrator credentials.
From the Home menu, located in the upper left area of the vSphere Web Client window, select UCP Advisor.
If a UCP System has not yet been registered, you will need to register one by clicking on the plus (+) sign.
Enter the relevant details as follows, then click Submit:
This is the descriptor ID for the appliance.
UCP System Name:
A common name used to refer to the UCP system.
UCP Controller Host:
The controller VM IP address.
UCP Gateway Host:
The gateway host IP address.
The UCP appliance model type; could be CI, HC, or Logical UCP.
The vCenter IP address.
The user name for the vCenter.
The password for the vCenter.
After you enter the details, the specified UCP system is made available.
Click on the icon representing the UCP system. You are provided a choice of compute, storage, or network devices on the UCP Advisior window.
Click on the icon representing the type of devices you want to manage. Depending on the type of device you select, you see a listing of available devices. Following is an example of a storage device listing.
In the Navigator window (or listing of devices shown on the right), double-click on the device you want to access. As an example, the management window for the selected storage system device is shown with the Manage tab selected.
Click the Summary tab to get general information about the device, or click the Manage tab to access various management options.