The UCP Advisor installation process is divided into four distinct phases. This document describes each phase.
It also includes supplemental information that you can use to ensure your site is ready for a UCP Advisor installation.
Configuration planning starts when you purchase UCP Advisor. At that point, Hitachi representatives work with you to select the correct software configuration for your immediate and future requirements. These considerations include:
- Type of system to install: converged or hyperconverged infrastructure.
- Number of racks required for installation.
- Number of servers in each rack and the configuration of each server (CPU type and amount of RAM).
- Type of storage used and the storage system configuration, in the case of a converged infrastructure appliance.
The information collected during this phase is used to configure the site or sites during the Build phase.
By the end of the Plan phase, you will have all the necessary information to ensure your environment is ready for your UCP Advisor deployment. Additional information is provided upon order placement which clearly outlines the following:
- Build time and location
- How much of the system is preassembled by Hitachi representatives
- The required amount of on-site system installation
Before the system arrives on-site, site-specific planning and pre-installation work is required. The type and amount of work is determined by the system configuration and the existing environment.
The following sections define the current deployment configuration scenarios and the required information and decisions you must make.
In a hyperconverged system, the management VMs may be placed anywhere with hardware IP access. This is the only configuration where the UCP Advisor Gateway virtual machine does not need to be hosted on hardware inside the appliance. Additionally, a single Advisor Gateway VM can manage several UCP hyperconverged appliances.
If the management VMs are placed in a pre-existing environment, it is recommended to place the management VMs in a vApp or resource pool to reserve enough resources for the VMs to meet performance expectations.
Refer to Management VM Environment Requirement for recommendations on environment resource allocation. In this scenario, the management VMs may also be deployed into the existing environment before the equipment arrives on-site.
Converged infrastructure in a customer-provided environment
In this scenario, the converged infrastructure appliance is managed by a UCP Advisor controller VM hosted in your existing environment.
It is recommended that a vApp or resource pool is created for the management VMs to reserve enough resources to meet performance expectations. Refer to Management VM Environment Requirement for resource allocation recommendations for the customer-provided converged infrastructure environment.
The Advisor Gateway VM is required to be hosted somewhere inside the appliance that it is managing. The Advisor Gateway VM has a small footprint and can reside in the same cluster as a compute workload without adversely affecting that workload.
In this scenario, the Advisor controller VM can be deployed into the existing environment before the equipment arrives on-site.
Converged infrastructure with customer-provided management servers
When you provide dedicated management servers for the management VMs, the scenario splits into two more possible scenarios that mirror the converged infrastructure in a customer-provided environment and converged infrastructure with Hitachi management servers purchased with the system.
Talk to your Hitachi representative about Microsoft Windows licenses. Hitachi can provide licenses (Windows Server 2016 Standard) for these servers if you do not have available licenses.
If the management servers you provide have Fibre Channel access to the array that is attached to the converged infrastructure appliance (for example, the servers are re-racked inside the appliance when it arrives), then it can be treated as converged infrastructure with Hitachi management servers purchased with the system.
If the management servers you provide do not have Fibre Channel access to the array that is attached to the converged infrastructure appliance, then it must be treated like a converged infrastructure in a customer-provided environment.
Converged infrastructure purchased with Hitachi dedicated management servers
In this scenario, Hitachi installs all the necessary and optional software purchased with the appliance. While there is available capacity on the management servers for other services, consult with your Hitachi representative about the appropriate services for hosting with the Hitachi management VMs.
When the system is purchased with Hitachi management servers, the hardware is configured in a high availability cluster by the end of the deployment. This configuration ensures the availability of the management functionality in the case of a single server failure.
It is the responsibility of Hitachi representatives to work with you in determining the system configuration for each site and to provide information you use to set up your data center before deploying UCP Advisor for VMware vCenter.
It is your responsibility to work with Hitachi representatives to:
- Specify the system configuration for assembly, during the build phase.
- Confirm that the virtual environment meets the system configuration requirements.
- Provide information for use during the later phases.
During the Build phase, the Hitachi Distribution Center assembles and validates UCP Advisor components before shipping the system to the customer sites.
The Hitachi Distribution Center does the following:
- Fully assembles all system hardware.
- Prepares the management block for deployment to your site.
- Validates all component connectivity to ensure rapid on-site deployment.
- Prepares and ships the system to your site.
When the preconfigured UCP Advisor system arrives at the customer site, Hitachi representatives perform the following tasks:
- Reassemble the system from the shipped containers.
- Validate all component connectivity.
- If existing storage is being used, Hitachi representatives prepare, integrate, and validate UCP Advisor with the existing storage.
- Configure system network settings.
- Deploy and configure UCP Advisor.
- Add all components to UCP Advisor inventory.
- Connect UCP Advisor to the production network.
UCP Advisor must be deployed by trained Hitachi representatives or qualified partners. UCP Advisor is not a product that can be installed without trained assistance.
It is the responsibility of Hitachi representatives to build, configure, and verify that the UCP Advisor system works with your environment.
It is your responsibility to assist Hitachi representatives to ensure a functional deployment.
After deployment, Hitachi representatives train you on UCP Advisor usage by doing the following:
- Providing a demonstration of UCP Advisor console.
- Sharing the product documentation location on the Hitachi Vantara Knowledge portal (https://knowledge.hitachivantara.com/Documents/Converged/UCP_Advisor).
- Giving an overview of the features of UCP Advisor.
- Answering questions you may have regarding the system and additional services that may be available.
It is the responsibility of Hitachi representatives to assist you in understanding the components and use of UCP Advisor.